Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sweet Words From Timothy's Daddy

Warren wrote the sweetest poem the night we said goodbye to Timothy. The poem is written as if Timothy is talking to us. Warren also spoke at Timothy's memorial service on Saturday. He did such an amazing job! I will never forget hearing him speak truth about our loving and faithful God and our precious son, Timothy. I praise the Lord everyday for my incredible husband and I wanted to share with each one of you these precious words from him.

"Thank you all for coming. Julie and I deeply appreciate all your love and support. We read every note, email, facebook message and text. We felt so encouraged and loved. Because of your prayers, we felt a strength and a peace that only comes from God.I have a few words that I want to say. God has been teaching me so much these past few months and I want to share some thoughts with you. 

First, Timothy David Reichel was greatly loved. We loved him every bit of 9 months and 20 minutes that we got to spend with him. Timothy was not a mistake. He was not a fluke. He was not bad luck. Timothy was our son. He was a baby boy. And we loved him and will miss him very much. Timothy came into this world kicking and punching just as he did inside Julie for nine months. We kissed him and held him as our son. And not just us, but our whole family and friends loved him too. Timothy was greatly loved.

Second, I want you to know that it is okay to cry. You are not stronger if you can hold back tears. And you are not weaker if allow yourself to cry. We miss Timothy and are sad that we don’t get to see him here on earth. And it’s okay to cry about that. In fact, your tears show us how much you loved him too. Even Jesus wept when his friend Lazurus died. Jesus also said “blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.” This is so true. I would rather spend a few days of sadness intimately close to my heavenly Father than ten thousand good days never needing God. 

Third, we firmly believe that we will see Timothy in heaven. God’s word tells us so. And we are assured by the spirit of God that speaks to our hearts that we will spend eternity with Timothy. Without God, our faith is weak, but with God  he provides the faith we need to believe these truths. We thank God for what Jesus did on the cross yesterday on Good Friday. He forgave our sins, gave us life, restored us back into God’s family, and promised us everlasting life. We will see Timothy again.

Fourth, I want you to know that it is also okay to smile. It’s okay to laugh. It’s okay to sing songs that praise the lord. And it’s even okay to be angry. You are allowed to have all these emotions. God can handle our emotions. But if you’re a Christian, it’s our joy that is most profound. That even in the midst of the darkest times, we can have joy and peace because we know the end of the story. That God will come back. That we will live forever. That there will be no tears in heaven. And that is profound and amazing. That as Christians, we can have joy in sorrow because we know God will redeem everything in the future. Our smile proves we believe this. 

Finally, although Timothy did not speak a single word, his life spoke so loudly that the earth quakes and the mountains tremble. Everyone can hear what Timothy has to say. My siblings will come and read a poem I wrote. These words I wrote are the words Timothy wanted to say to you and me."

I am in a Better Place

Mommy, Daddy
It’s okay to cry.
For by your tears
Your love shines bright.

Blessed are
The teary eyed.
God wraps his arms
Around those who cry.

I am in a better place.

I know you ask
Why, oh why.
Why must your son
Have to die?

Remember Jesus.
He was like me.
Innocent he died
To set us free.

I am in a better place.

Jesus rose
Up from the grave.
Your son you love
Will do the same.

No fear in death.
No guilt remains.
Our destiny
Forever changed.

I am in a better place.

The sunrise speaks
Of better days.
God deserves
All the praise.

Jesus loves me
This I know.
For here in heaven
He tells me so.

I am in a better place.

Mommy, Daddy
It’s okay to smile.
It proves you believe
You’ll see me in a while.

Mommy, Daddy
I miss you too.
I’m in God’s arms.
I’ll see you soon.

I am in a better place.



4 comments:

  1. Thank-you so much for sharing this. It touched me to my core. I am amazed at the grace God is giving you and the way you are ministering to others around you, including myself. Praying for your family, Charis Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this poem make me break down... it is so sweet. it is also especially poignant right now as my nephew - my sister's son - just passed away. his funeral was yesterday and i like to think he'd being saying the same thing... peace and comfort and blessings to you both...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so increadibly sweet. Timothy's life is so full of purpose. Praying for y'all as you walk down such a similar path to ours. Timothy is beautiful. I too know that we will see our sons again and until then they are being held by Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers as God continues to hold each of you. May you continue to feel God as ever present, always loving, and grieving with you.
    Peace.
    Mercy's Momma

    ReplyDelete